Set in a dark, dark wood the tale was a spin on Little Red Riding Hood: girl goes to Granny's, toting stale muffins.

Aiming for less than 4,000 words, I selected my desired market (one of the lucky ones not yet marked temporarily closed or fledgling - because they're all fledgling these days).

On the journey through the wood, Red was to uncover a fur pile: masked men dolled up like Pooh Bear and Wolverine, a whore donning a swan head with feathers glued to her ass, and a man in a fish suit, perishing at sun-up because he’d fashioned his fucksuit out of an old waterbed and it caused him to suffocate – that part I stole from Spike’s 1000 Ways to Die.

I got carried away, laughing at the obscenity and my own idiocy.

In the end, Red gives birth to the wolf, Granny cuts the cord, and the wolf eats her, ending with a quote by Peter Ustinov, “Parents are the bones on which children cut their teeth.” I never did finish writing it, so I wrote this instead.

"On Writing 'In a Dark, Dark Wood'"

Copyright: © 2010 Shaylen Maxwell

-------------------------------------

3 comments: